When I was 7, my grandmother bought me a subscription to games magazine. Most of the puzzles were too hard for me, but I always liked the game where you had to figure out what was in the photos from close-up images. So here we go…
HOW TO PLAY
1. Name the gear (instrument/type, manufacturer, model) shown in the photo
2. Mail your answers to copernicus07-namethatgear at yahoo dot com by 11:59pm Eastern, Saturday, August 2.
4 points possible per photo (100 points total possible).
* 1 pt for the instrument or general category of piece of gear (e.g. compressor, violin, computer)
* 1 pt for the brand or manufacturer (e.g. Peavy, Stradivarius, Macintosh)
* 2 pts for the name of the specific item (e.g. Peavy VC/L-2, 1846 Stradivarius, Macintosh G5)
If you’ve spent more than 2 hours in my studio and your name begins with J, you will be given an automatic 25-point handicap, but you are still qualified to play. If you have spent more than 2 hours in my studio and your name begins with another letter, you will receive a handicap at my discretion.
Winner gets praise and glory and maybe a prize.
Answers and winners will be announced next weekend. Hints may appear in comments if I decide certain photos are too difficult or obscure. Multiple entries will be accepted.
Bonus Item [hint: i don't even know what this is, exactly, but it came from NASA circa 1975]