Hi there. I’m posting for Conor tonight, here in Chicago, where it’s technically midnight so therefore Monday. I’m on a porch with Conor, Kilian, and our frequent commenter Ignatius. Why am I posting instead of Conor if we’re both here at the same time? Good question.
Anyway, I missed Saturday entirely, but of what I saw Friday and Sunday Pitchfork is a well run and worthwhile festival. A couple highlights:
1. Public Enemy – not just for them performing IT TAKES A NATION OF MILLIONS TO HOLD US BACK but also for Flavor Flav’s rants, including his repeated references to the album’s title as “It Takes A Nation Of A Million To Hold Us Back”. And also their ending career-spanning medley, from obvious hits to nice surprises like the title track from “He Got Game” and their recent, unexpectedly awesome single “Harder Than You Think”:
2. HEALTH – I’ve raved about this album before, and they were indeed as awesome live as I hoped.
3. The Dodos – I knew nothing about them, and in a way they remind me of HEALTH’s mellow melodic younger brother, still relying on beds of rhythm with precise shift points. It’s beautiful.
4. Bon Iver – A bit frustrating because of sound bleed from Spiritualized’s set, overcrowding, and some assholes in front of me who I will hate for as long as I can remember them, which hopefully will be not very long. But the entire audience singing along to “The Wolves (Act I + II)” as the band descended into chaos will stick with me.
5. The Numero Group: I discovered this reissue label in the merch tent, and although I have yet to listen to any of the CDs I bought, I was impressed by the diversity, depth, and packaging of their releases.
6. All the random friends that I managed to catch up with during this show. A special shout-out to Henry Mayer, whose band Undertow has recently put out a new CD that provided the driving soundtrack for today and is very good.
There was of course lots of other good stuff. You want to know more? You’ll get it Wednesday, as Ignatius brings an all weekend, blow-by-blow account of the weekend. Or so I promise on behalf of him. Now I return to hanging out with these folks on a porch. Pass the tequila.